World Refugee Day is celebrated every year on June 20th. This event honors the courage, strength and determination of women, men and children who are forced to flee their homeland under threat of persecution, conflict and violence. The Missoula community has stepped up to welcome more than 20 refugee families in the last year and make Missoula a welcoming place that refugees can call home. Soft Landing Missoula is excited to celebrate the addition of these families to our community with a soccer tournament and community party on June 17th.
Held at the new fields and pavilion at Fort Missoula Regional Park, this will be a 7v7 round-robin tourney with at least 2 games guaranteed. There will also be a kids game and kids activities.
June 17th Word Refugee Day Cup at Fort Missoula Regional Park
9 a.m. Tournament starts.
4 p.m. Final match.
5 p.m. Dinner
6 – 8 p.m. Music – featuring the WhizPops!
Individual Registration: $45/person, $40 for an active volunteer. Please consider doubling your registration to sponsor a refugee player.
Please register on the Missoula Parks and Rec website, and also please note the registration tips below before beginning the registration process!
This is a new system that Parks and Rec is working with and it can be a little picky. Here are some helpful tips. If you have any questions, you can just call the VERY nice people at Parks and Rec and they will help you get it set up! (406) 721 – 7275
1) This link takes you to the “Activity Search Page”. In the box “keyword search” type : Soft Landing.
2) Scroll down and you will see two options. Choose from regular registration, $45, or active volunteer registration, $40.
3) At the bottom of the page click “Add to cart”.
4) It will then ask for username and password. This system is pretty new, but if you have used it to sign up yourself or your family for any other P&R activities, you may already be in the system. If you are (I only have a kids swim pass and I was) try to put your phone number (including area code) in as your password and your last name with a capital first letter in as your password. If you have any info in the system, including just a phone number, it won’t let you create a new account and will give you the run around. If these login and password hints don’t help, please just call Parks and Rec at (406)721-7275.
5) The rest should be pretty self-explanatory. You will have the option to add an additional fee for “sponsoring” a refugee player or an additional donation to Soft Landing Missoula. If you select neither of these and just click Continue at the bottom, your individual registration fee will show up on the next page.
6) One other note: After you are logged in and filling out the actual form, sometimes if you try to go back it will kick you out of the registration, but you are still logged in. If this happens, click Search at the top of the page, and select Activity Search on the left hand side. Continue with above search directions. If it says duplicate registration, you might have to clear your old attempt by selecting the (-) next to it and starting over.
7) Thank you for hanging in there. We realize the trickiness of this is not ideal. Parks and Rec staff are super nice and accommodating. If you need any help, please don’t hesitate to call them. That number again is (406)721-7275.